Thursday, May 17, 2012

May 2012


I love May! It is my second favorite month of the year with April being my most favorite.  April is, after all, my birthday month. This year I celebrated my 62nd birthday. When I was younger, I thought that anyone in their 60s was old. Now I feel very differently, of course! The truth is, I feel great! I feel vital and energetic; I'm happy and am coming to peace with my self and my life. I'm no longer bothered by the little things that ultimately distracted me from living a rich and fulfilled life. That's part of the beauty of aging - we learn not to sweat the small stuff, we get to accept ourselves and really enjoy who we are and all that life has to offer.

That's not to say I don't have my moments, of course I do. But thank goodness they really truly are just moments. Because I see life as precious and want to live it to the fullest, I consistently do what I can to stay healthy and vital. The lifestyle choices I make have a direct effect on how I am going to look and feel. When I choose healthy foods over junk, when I choose to exercise and move my body with activities that I love, when I am with friends who love and support me, and when I incorporate relaxation and spiritual practices that nurture my heart and soul, I live more authentically aligned with my Essential Nature. And there is something about living in that alignment that allows me to live life passionately, moment to moment.

My feature article this month is on aging and beauty and asks how we define beauty as we age. To stop the clock on aging is unrealistic, the better choice is to figure out how to age gracefully, to maintain our vitality and zest for life, and ultimately how to redefine our values so that we can embrace the wisdom and maturity that comes with living a long life full of challenges, sorrows, delights and joys. My hope is that each of you will reach deep into your core and allow your inner wisdom to guide you in defining who you are and how you reflect that back to the world.  See if you can get beyond the limitations of the media and your inner critic so access your true beauty--that of your authentic nature.

One last thing before I close this post, I want to honor my mother, Elizabeth Goering,  who at 91 is amazingly vital and feisty. She is such an inspiration to me, and I am very grateful to be able to celebrate another Mother's Day with her by my side. Happy Mother's Day, Mom!  

With Love and Kindness, 
Rachelle Goering, M.A., N.P.


No comments:

Post a Comment