Thursday, September 20, 2012

September 2012



"Happiness is not a matter of intensity but of balance, order, rhythm and harmony."

- Thomas Merton

As I write this month's newsletter, my heart is brimming with gratitude and appreciation for my wonderful family and the adventures we shared this summer.

I've just returned from a beautiful holiday with 50 of my Goering relatives. Every other year, my father's siblings and their spouses, children, nieces, nephews, and every other familial relation all gather somewhere in the contiguous United States to reminisce, catch up on the latest from each other's lives, play games, hike, sing, eat, and simply enjoy each other's presence.

This year we gathered in Logan, Utah. The family congregated at a local hotel and enjoyed great food, numerous games of Scrabble and Taboo, lively conversations, and one heck of a talent show! Despite all this, I think the highlight of the weekend was the 7 elders sharing memories, insights, and stories from their long and colorful lives. We've been reuniting like this for the past 34 years and are fortunate that all of my father's siblings are still living. At 92, my father is the oldest of The Magnificent 7. I feel incredibly blessed to have such a loving and fun-filled extended family!

Earlier last month, my daughter and granddaughter flew out from Kansas to spend a week with me. We headed up to Tahoe where we enjoyed swimming, shopping, and hiking. We even found a little time for relaxation too! In addition to this girls-only reunion, just a few days before I left for the family reunion, I spent a fun filled weekend in Carmel with a group of friends. So it's been a delightful summer filled with loved ones and I'm not quite ready for it to end!

Whether it is the love and support of good friends and family, rewarding work, strong faith, or good health, we all have aspects of life to relish and be deeply grateful for. These things also take investment and with that, balance. This month's article is about finding that balance so that we may have enough to give to each part of our lives, with enough left in reserve for our selves.

With love and kindness,

Rachelle Goering, M.A., N.P.

No comments:

Post a Comment